Date:      Thu, 14 May 1998 19:06:45 +0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
To:        Michael Hancock <michaelh@cet.co.jp>
Cc:        Mikhail Teterin <mi@aldan.algebra.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: soft updates and async

Michael Hancock wrote:
> On Thu, 14 May 1998, Mikhail Teterin wrote:
[..]

> > Will I be able to combine async and softupdates in the future and why
> > would I want to?
>
> No, they are mutually exclusive.  If you do a write it is either sync
> (default), async, or delayed (softupdates).  You'd have no reason to
> combine them unless you want to get undefined behavior.

In this case, undefined == panic..  The softupdate code gets *very* upset
when certain sync writes are not performed when expected.  The -o async
code interferes with those.

At least, that's the way it was a few months ago when I forgot to remove an
async mount option from my fstab after enabling softupdates in single user.

> Regards,
>
> Mike Hancock

Cheers,
-Peter