Date:      Fri, 8 May 2009 02:53:07 +0400
From:      Dmitry Marakasov <amdmi3@amdmi3.ru>
To:        Robert Noland <rnoland@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: xcb-util 0.3.4 breaks awesome

* Robert Noland (rnoland@FreeBSD.org) wrote:

> > That's quite complicated problem actually - xcb-util update has
> > broken awesome; we could update awesome to 3.3-rc1, but it requires
> > startup-notification 0.10 (which likely requires new xcb-util as
> > well).
> >
> > Thus we'll likely have to wait for s-n 0.10 and consider awesome
> > broken for now. Meanwhile, awesome users are recommended to not
> > upgrade from/downgrade to xcb-util 0.3.3.
> >
> > This is really our fault as there should've been more testing and
> > coordination with this update.
>
> Holding back X or it's sub-components is really not an option.  The
> applications have to keep up.  xcb-util doesn't fall under my umbrella,
> exactly, but I do update it in Xorg sweeps on occasion.  Unless the
> damage is widespread progress must continue.  Awesome needs to be
> patched, updated or marked BROKEN temporarily.

Sure, I've just did exactly that - marked awesome BROKEN in presence of
newer xcb-util. The note above was for awesome users who, regardless of
ports progression and updates, will need a way to use them :)

--
Dmitry Marakasov   .   55B5 0596 FF1E 8D84 5F56  9510 D35A 80DD F9D2 F77D
amdmi3@amdmi3.ru  ..:  jabber: amdmi3@jabber.ru    http://www.amdmi3.ru