Date:      Fri, 15 Mar 2002 10:34:32 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG, Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
Subject:   Re: Unmoronify CVS

On 15-Mar-2002 Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:
> Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org> writes:
>> But that would be slow if it had to recursively search for RELENG_4 each
>> time you did a 'cvs up -r RELENG_4' in /usr/src, so they added a cache. I
>> do not recall whether it aborts the search on the first match, or if it
>> searches everything.  I believe it is the latter (ie: if there is no
>> val-tags match, it will search the entire tree).
>
> Yep, even if it finds the tag in the very first file.
>
>> The problem with removing val-tags is that cvs will now search *always*
>> before doing an update.  Effectively, you will be condeming every end-user
>> to an exhaustive search each time they do a cvs update -r RELENG_4
>
> No - my patch disables the entire tag-checking code.
>
>> If my memory serves correctly, the reason why the tag search is exhaustive
>> rather than stops at the first match, is because it uses common scanning
>> code for all consumers.
>
> Correct.
>
>> Looking over your patch, it seems as though it skips the recursive scan.
>> Is this correct?  I could live with that, but if it going to do the
>> recursive check each time, then no way :-).  It looks like the worst
>> case is that if you accidently do this: cd /usr/src; cvs up -r RELNG_4
>> then you'll end up with an empty tree, right?
>
> Any sensible person would discover his mistake and abort the update
> long before that, and cvs does not remove modified files, so no real
> harm is done.

Not if you do a cvs up -rFOO and then go to sleep only to wake up in the
morning and now need to cvs up a whole big tree over your 28.8k dialup link. :)
Remember, the cvs binary in the tree is used by more than just FreeBSD
developers doing FreeBSD development.  Add a command line option or config file
option and submit it to the cvshome folks.