Date:      Tue, 16 Jul 96 09:19:38 EST
From:      "Nathan Melhorn" <n_melhor@webster.Telebit.COM>
To:        n_melhor@webster.Telebit.COM, dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re[2]: Adding devices to boot.flp

     On 13 July 96 Doug White wrote:

     > On Thu, 11 Jul 1996, Nathan Melhorn wrote:
     >> I was fairly successful adding parallel port IoMega ZipDrive

     > WHAT?!?!?  You have a parallel Zip working?  Whoa!  What did you do,
     > write a driver?  I thought the parallel wasn't supported and wasn't
     > for a very long time.  The SCSI works OK.

     IOMega didn't offer anything.

     Searching the net, I found:

     http://www.torque.net/zip.html  {mostly Linux ->}
     http://www.prism.uvsq.fr/~son/ppa3.html {FreeBSD ->}
     ftp://www.prism.uvsq.fr/~son/ppa3.c {the source}

     Nicolas Souchu <Nicolas.Souchu@prism.uvsq.fr> has ported a Linux
     driver, but hasn't had time to do more work on it. I tried his driver
     on my machine. After changing the printer port from 0x278 to 0x378 and
     all int32->int32_t and u_int32->u_int32_t I got a kernel that could
     access the drive. The only problem is in the device probing at boot
     time, which takes about 2 minutes for the Zip! This didn't seem to
     depend on SCSI_DELAY perceptibly. As long as I can stand the long boot
     time, I've got a ZipDrive. Nicolas says he doesn't have time right now
     to work on this, and I may glance at it. There are some DELAY() ??
     calls..

     The only (other) problem is in accessing my MSDOS/FAT file systems. It
     occurs both for the hard drive and now for the Zip drive -- if I get
     too "busy" on the drive, the FAT structure seems to crash. When I boot
     back to MS-DOS, chkdisk/scandisk shows errors which I let it repair.
     It seems to happen more when fooling around with directories (vs.
     ordinary files). Thus, so far I first stage data on my Unix file
     systems, such as .zip and .tar.gz files, and then copy it once to an
     MS-DOS file system. Is FreeBSD's MSDOS file system less solid than the
     native file system, especially under heavy/multitasking load? Are
     there known concurrency problems?

     I've still to format a ZipDisk as a native Unix file system.

     > and difficult process, basically requiring one to build the whole
     > release.

     Oh.. too bad. My machine at work is on the net, but the machine at
     home is not, and doesn't have a compatible CD-ROM drive. I'd like to
     copy a release to a ZipDisk and take it home to install. I'd thus need
     Zip drivers (or drivers for my CDROM) in a boot floppy. I think. I
     have full sources right now -- it isn't just "cd /usr/src/floppy" and
     then typing "make"?

     -Nate Melhorn (n_melhor@chelmsford.telebit.com)