Date:      Wed, 24 Oct 2001 10:08:37 +1100
From:      Andrew Johns <johnsa@kpi.com.au>
To:        Igor Roshchin <str@giganda.komkon.org>
Cc:        ghelmer@palisadesys.com, scanner@jurai.net, will@physics.purdue.edu, kde@FreeBSD.ORG, ports@FreeBSD.ORG, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: your mail

Igor Roshchin wrote:

> > From owner-freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG Fri Oct 19 13:33:02 2001
> > From: "Guy Helmer" <ghelmer@palisadesys.com>
> > To: "Will Andrews" <will@physics.purdue.edu>, <scanner@jurai.net>
> > Cc: <security@FreeBSD.ORG>, <ports@FreeBSD.ORG>, <kde@FreeBSD.ORG>
> > Subject: RE: your mail
> > Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 12:36:15 -0500

> > > its the fact
> > > build the
> > > the message
> > >
> > > Yeah, I'm aware of that.  Unfortunately, there is nothing I can
> > > do about that, because people might be invoking the kdebase port
> > > from anywhere.  So it's a general ports problem.  :\
> >
> > How about sending an email message to "root" with this message?  It solves
> > the problem of the message scrolling by during the installation...
> >

> I don't think I'd always want to have an e-mail message sent to root or
> to the building user. Probably, it can be an option, but not a default one.
>
> Talking about "general ports problem":
> script(1) is a good solution in this situation.
> It allows one to record all output, including warnings and such.

I like that idea of using script, as long as ports/packages fed
out something useful to grep for. ie:a standard error message
that wouldn't get mixed up with everything else or confused with
real files (error.c, error.conf?)

eg:
script
installation proceeds and appears to end successfully
exit
grep -i error scriptfile && mail -s "Errors during install"
user,root < scriptfile

Then you only get mail for errors, but it does rely on the error
word appearing AND there are plenty of error.c, error_something.c
files in the system.

--
Andrew Johns