Date:      Sat, 26 Apr 2008 23:35:57 +0200
From:      Romain =?iso-8859-1?Q?Tarti=E8re?= <romain@blogreen.org>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        Romuald Conty <romuald.conty@free.fr>
Subject:   indent(1) support for gcc(1) 0b prefix

--LpQ9ahxlCli8rRTG

--2oS5YaxWCcQjTEyO

Hello FreeBSD hackers!

I'm using avr-gcc from the ports and relying on the 0b prefix notation
for binary constants, that is:

	foo =3D 0b00101010;

Thanks to /usr/ports/devel/avr-gcc/files/patch-0b-constants this is
possible :-)

But I would like to use indent(1) to reformat contributed code
automatically. Unfortunately, the 0b notation is not supported by that
program, and the resulting code looks like this:

	foo =3D 0 b00101010;

=2E.. then compilation fails, bla bla bla...

A quick look at indent(1) source code leaded me to tweak
/usr/src/usr.bin/indent/lexi.c so that the 0b notation is supported
(patch attached).

I was so wondering how useful(less) it was to support this extension in
FreeBSD indent(1) program. The version of gcc provided with the base
system does not support this syntax, and AFAIK, only the avr-gcc port
support this kind of constructs...

So options are:
  - Add support for 0b notation to FreeBSD indent(1) (maybe requiring
    the use of an extra command line argument to support this feature);
  - Provide a patch for indent(1) that can be conditionally applied on
    the code when compiling the world;
  - Create another port, say avr-indent(1), that is not more than a copy
    of indent(1) with support of 0b constructs;
  - Do nothing: tweaking indent(1) for supporting this is so trivial
    that the few individuals interested in this can have their local
    version of indent.

Can you please tell me your opinion about this?

Thank you in advance,
Romain

PS: I also took a look at GNU indent (gindent(1) from the ports), but it
does not support 0b notation too.

--=20
Romain Tarti=E8re <romain@blogreen.org>        http://romain.blogreen.org/
pgp: 8DAB A124 0DA4 7024 F82A  E748 D8E9 A33F FF56 FF43 (ID: 0xFF56FF43)
(plain text =3Dnon-HTML=3D PGP/GPG encrypted/signed e-mail much appreciated)

--2oS5YaxWCcQjTEyO--

--LpQ9ahxlCli8rRTG

--LpQ9ahxlCli8rRTG--