Date:      Sun, 13 Aug 2000 05:12:10 -0500
From:      Zach Johnson <xopl@execpc.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   ATA100 bus... can't find root fs

First of all, I use FreeBSD 4.1-Release...

I've got a Highpoint Technologies HPT370 ATA66+ controller integrated
into my ABIT KA7-100 motherboard.  FreeBSD works perfectly when my
harddrive is on my regular master IDE channel.  When I put the drive on
the ATA100 IDE bus, FreeBSD will boot but it can't find the root file
system.  What I find strange is that it seems to find this controller
during the boot process.  During boot the screen displays:

atapci1 (High Point HPT366 ATA66 controller) port blah irq 11 at device
19.0 on pci0
ata2 at blah on atapci1

The system seems to have found what I'm looking for... but I can't (or
don't know how) to get the manual root file system thingy to work.  If I
try "ufs:/dev/pci0" I get an error Fatal Trap 12, a page fault.  I try
ufs:/dev/ata2 and it says there are no devices ata (or atapci for that
matter).  From that boot prompt I can get the system to display even the
FreeBSD file system off this drive on the ATA100 device with the command
lsdev.  However, with all of this said, I can't get FreeBSD to find
root.

Is there anything I can try?!  Please help me!  If you need more
information I would be glad to supply it!

Thanks,
Zach Johnson