Date:      Fri, 20 Mar 1998 09:25:19 -0800 (PST)
From:      Bernie Doehner <bad@uhf.wireless.net>
To:        Robert Ricci <rricci@theonlynet.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD ISP <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Funky DNS

Hi Robert:

> I'm having some VERY strange things going on with DNS. We recently moved
> our server (running 2.2.1), and now it has a different IP address. After
					       ^^^^^^^^^

> changing around things in our zone file, things worked great for a day,
> then strange things started happening:
> 	1) Many of our customers (who use ns3.theonlynet.com for their name
> server) have reported that their web browsers work fine, but their mail
> programs get a DNS error when trying to look up mail.theonlynet.com,
> which is a CNAME for ns3. Typing "mail.theonlynet.com" in the URL line
> of Netscape brings up our home page correctly. (www, ftp, mail, etc. are
> CNAMES for ns3 - we're pretty small.) If they have them enter the actual
> IP of the server in their mail settings, everything pops up fine. Why
> will Netscape do DNS lookups when Eudora won't?
> 	2) When I try to use "nslookup" from my home FreeBSD machine, I get the
> error message :"*** Can't find server name for address 201.201.125.66:
> Non-existent host/domain" and it falls back on another name server.
> (207.201.125.66 is ns3's IP) However, like our customers, Netscape will
> do DNS lookups just fine, using that server.
>
> Where should I be looking to find a solution for this? By the way, we're

Check your reverse DNS files. I bet you they are misconfigured (set up for
the old subnet). What is 201.201.125.66? Our upstream provider doesn't
even have a route to it.. Is this the old address of your ns3? If so, fix
/etc/resolv.conf on your home FreeBSD machine to point to the correct IP
address.

> running 4.9.4 (I'd appreciate any thoughts on how easy it is to upgrade
> to 8). Since this odd behavior started, the following line's been
> showing up in /var/log/messages every time I start named:
> Mar 20 08:52:58 ns3 named[7825]: Return from getdtablesize() >
> FD_SETSIZE
> , but it still comes up and agrees to answer queries

Used to get that on an  old DNS, but after we cleanly upgraded to
FreeBSD 2.2.5 it went away. I just upgraded several of our DNSs to 8 and
couldn't have been simpler. You download bind8, compile it, install it,
run your old named.boot through the perl script, get your named.conf out
of it, and start the new named.

We needed several features in 8. I was hesitant to ugprade, but glad I
did.

Best Regards,

Bernie