Date:      Sun, 09 Jul 2000 14:53:58 +0000
From:      "B. K. Minazzi" <bminazzi@denverweb.net>
To:        Joe Greco <jgreco@ns.sol.net>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: AMD K6-2 / 550

Joe Greco wrote:

> Me, I'm just reaping the benefits of all the advances in hardware.  I
> can now afford to sit here and purchase recycled hardware, like Pentium
> grade stuff that nobody wants anymore, get it for a song, and turn around
> and turn it into Real Equipment.

I couldn't agree more.  Yesterdays high end technology at fire sale
prices, combined with  FreeBSD (or even Linux) == great systems for
little cash.

I prefer to put my money into appreciating assets as much as possible
instead of the latest  Wiz-bang gigahertz CPU's and falling rock values
of equipment, as AMD and Intel try to outdo each other to sell to easily
impressed winblows users.

I have to shake my head in wonderment as I watch people put lots of
money into hardware that depreciates so quickly, and replace it every
couple years without it ever pushing it to anywhere near its capacity,
and all the while complaining about declining profit margins on their
business.   To paraphrase ol' Benjamin Frnaklin, a thousand dollars
saved is a thousand earned.

( My workstation is an old Asus based P55T2P4 w/ a AMD K6-2 333 mhz. It
does everything I need, and is so fast I dont know how a faster system
would really DO anything for me, from a REAL PRODUCTIVITY standpoint. )

Cheers,

Blaine