Date:      Sun, 30 Dec 2001 19:23:27 -0800
From:      Albert Kinderman <albert.kinderman@csun.edu>
To:        Morten Gulbrandsen <morten.gulbrandsen@t-online.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: XFree86-4 and startx

Morten Gulbrandsen wrote:

> Albert Kinderman wrote:
> >
> > A small mistake.  you need XFREE86_VERSION=4.  The message that comes
> > with XFree86-4 is as follows:

> > * To improve security, the X server is installed without an SUID bit.  *
> > * This is suitable for use with xdm, but not with a startx script.     *
> > * If you need to use a startx script, install the x11/wrapper package. *
> > * If XFree86-4 is not a basic part of your operating system, add the   *
> > * following line to /etc/make.conf: XFREE86_VERSION=4                  *
> Interesting, I will investigate my /etc/make.conf
>
> bash-2.04$ cat make.conf
> USA_RESIDENT=NO
> PAPERSIZE=a4
> MASTER_SITE_BACKUP?=ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/distfiles/${DIST_SUB
> DIR}/
> MASTER_SITE_OVERRIDE?=ftp://ftp.de.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/distfiles/${DIS
> T_SUBDIR}/
> ftp://ftp7.de.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/distfiles/${DIST_SUBDIR}/
> MASTER_SITE_GNU?=ftp://ftp7.de.freebsd.org/pub/mirror/gnu/prep.ai/%SUBDIR%/
> MASTER_SORT_REGEX?=^file:
> ^ftp://ftp\.FreeBSD\.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/local-distf
> iles/ ://[^/]*\.de/ ://[^/]*\.de\.
>
> Adding one line is not a problem, at the beginning ?

Or at the end.  It doesn't matter.

> > Albert Kinderman wrote:
> > >
> > > If you use XFree86-4 with startx, there are permission problems (related
> > > to security).  In order for you to use startx, you must install
> > > x11/wrapper.
>
> This is interesting, please tell me more .
>
>  Quoting from the package description,
> > >
> > > "This program runs an X server after sanity-checking the environment
> > > and any options passed to it.  It is meant to enhance security on
> > > multi-user systems running XFree86 4, where the ability to use a
> > > startx script is needed.  If you have XFree86 3, do not install
> > > this:  you do not need it and it will not work.  If you have no
> > > untrusted users or always run the X server from xdm, you do not
> > > need this (in the latter case, just take the suid bit off your X
> > > server)."
> > >
> > > There is also a message that is part of the XFree86-4 port.  You should
> > > have seen it at the end of the make or the end of the install (I
> > > forget).  You can see the message in the sub-directory
> > > /var/db/pkg/XFree86-4
>
> This is interesting, I will take a look right now
>
> bash-2.04$ pwd
> /var/db/pkg
> bash-2.04$ cd XFree86-
> XFree86-3.3.6_4            XFree86-clients-4.0.1
> XFree86-4.0.1_8            XFree86-documents-4.0.1
> XFree86-aoutlibs-3.3.3     XFree86-libraries-4.0.1_2
>
> bash-2.04$ ls -l XFree86-4.0.1_8
> total 371
> -rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel      34 Dec 25 01:12 +COMMENT
> -rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  360642 Dec 25 01:12 +CONTENTS
> -rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel     156 Dec 25 01:12 +DESC
> -rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel     365 Dec 25 01:12 +DISPLAY
>
> I found the subdirectory, what can I do now ?
> I can see no message, can you ?

The message is the file +DISPLAY

If you cat +DISPLAY you get the message I quoted at the beginning
about using x11/wrapper with startx.

> > > If you make wrapper from ports, you need to have to have the following
> > > line in your /etc/make.conf
> > >
> > > XFREE_VERSION=4  (should be XFREE86_VERSION=4)
>
> OK I got it,

> What is your opinion, where should I start ?

1) cd /usr/ports/x11/wrapper
  make
  make install
  make clean

2) Make sure you read the handbook on installing XFree86

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x11.html
(this is US english version)

3) You will probably still need to make changes to your
XF86Config.  You will want to use information from your old
(3.3.6) config, but put it into the new style. Read man
XF86Config.  Make sure you are reading the manual for 4 (the man
will make references to XF86Config-4).

4) then try startx

/var/log/XFree86.0.log (or something similar) will give you
information if something goes wrong.

Note: I am really no expert, just a user, but I don't think you
need all the ports/packages you have installed.  You listed the
following:

> XFree86-3.3.6_4            XFree86-clients-4.0.1
> XFree86-4.0.1_8            XFree86-documents-4.0.1
> XFree86-aoutlibs-3.3.3     XFree86-libraries-4.0.1_2

I believe that XFree86-4.0.1_8 is complete (read the +COMMENT and
+DESC) so that you do not need the clients, documents, and
libraries separately.  To be sure, you can check the contents of
all four and see if anything in the latter three are not included
in the contents of the base system.  Of course removing them at
this time might delete needed parts of your XFree86 system.  When
you are ready to upgrade (the current version of XFree86 in stable
is 4.1.0_11) you might want to pkg_delete the others first.  The
XFree86-aoutlibs are needed by netscape, so do not delete them.  I
am not sure about having both 3.3.6 and 4.x.x on your system.  The
installation of 4.x.x might have overwritten files of the same
name in 3.3.6.  You can check the +CONTENTS file in
var/db/pkg/(package name) for each to see.  Again, you may want to
pkg_delete 3.3.6 just before upgrading to a newer 4.x.x

Al
--
Albert Kinderman  California State University, Northridge
    Department of Systems and Operations Management