Date:      Tue, 22 Jul 1997 13:31:45 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   buggy sysinstall & /stand/sysinstall

Okay, sysinstall from 2.2.2-RELEASE is a little buggy....as noted in
the text of the message ERRATA.TXT from ftp.cdrom.com,
FreeBSD/2.2.2-RELEASE/ERRATA.TXT.  What I'm wondering, however, is
what's really supposed to be in /stand/sysinstall and what ought
to be done to it after an upgrade:

jkh@time-> more ERRATA.TXT
Last minute errata:
-------------------

o login as root produces "login_getclass: unknown class 'root'" on system
  console.

Fix:  If you have the source distribution installed, simply
      cp /usr/src/etc/login.conf /etc
      otherwise, get it from the FreeBSD FTP site using this URL:
      ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/FreeBSD-current/src/etc/login.conf
      instead.  Simply cd to /etc and then run fetch(1) with the provided URL.

o sysconfig scrambles rc.conf if run again.

Fix:  Get updated /usr/src from RELENG_2_2 branch and build
      /usr/src/release/sysinstall, copying the new binary to /stand.

      If you do not have enough space for src then you could also
      use the boot/fixit floppy combo from a later 2.2-YYMMDD-RELENG
      release to simply mount your root partition (using the Fixit
      option) and copy /stand/sysinstall from the floppy to /stand on
      your root fs.

--------------------end of text of ERRATA.TXT------------------

[Note in above (errata in ERRATA) "sysconfig" should by "sysinstall"]

I've got 2.2.2-STABLE (as of June 30 or so) done with a make world,
but of course the new sysinstall did not get installed in /stand, and
it seems not to have gotten built either, so I built it, moved the old
sysinstall to another directory, and copied the new one to
/stand/sysinstall, discovering that all the files there were
dated November 18, 1995, and are apparently from the first install done
in this partition (2.1).  They also have sizes of 456940 and  802816.
These files did not disappear when the old sysinstall got moved.  There
are 60+ files in /stand (including a couple of directories).  When
the files are compared with their counterparts in /usr/bin or wherever
they differ by one character only.

A fresh install of 2.2.2-R from cdrom on the same machine (in a
different partition) has only 20-some files (all reporting a size
of 1060864, except for directories and sysintall itself) in the
/stand directory; I copied the newly built sysinstall there.  The file
size is 1060864 except for the directories.

If sysinstall is simply a gigantic binary and the files aren't really
there, why didn't the files in 2.2.2-S change when the sysinstall
binary was changed?  What really ought to be in that directory
anyway?  I suppose I could delete the entire contents on the
2.2.2-S partition and copy the 2.2.2-R contents into it.....

	Annelise