Date:      Wed, 13 Dec 2000 22:55:48 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
To:        Marius Bendiksen <mbendiks@eunet.no>
Cc:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>, Seigo Tanimura <tanimura@r.dl.itc.u-tokyo.ac.jp>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Even 1GB KVA is not enough, but we have no more space

:> THEORETICALLY it should be possible to put the kernel into a differnt
:> KV space from the processes and give it 4GB.
:> Practically, we'd have to do a lot to do this, and it may effect
:> throughout (page tables loading in and out).
:
:Isn't KV space just system pages (ie kernel adress space)? If so, then making
:the system handle a 4GB KV could be done by maintaining a certain portion of
:the KV space in the user page directory, and switching to the KV page directory
:on demand, at that point removing user pages.
:
:Marius

    We're probably not going to ever do anything like this, because
    manipulating page directory entries or the whole VM space on a
    user->supervisor or supervisor->user transition flushes
    the TLB and seriously degrades performance.

						-Matt