Date:      Fri, 1 Sep 1995 13:08:09 -0400 (EDT)
From:      bah6f@phil.cs.virginia.edu
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   multicast on ep0 device

I'm pretty new to this whole mailng list thing, so I hope I picked a
good list to start with.

I'm trying to get a FreeBSD box (2.1.0-SNAP) running some of the MBONE
tools.  (sd, vat, nv, etc)  It doesn't seem to want to do it, though.

If I look at the ethernet device (ep0) I see
ep0: flags=863<UP,BROADCAST,NOTRAILERS,RUNNING,SIMPLEX> mtu 1500
        inet 128.143.71.29 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 128.143.71.255
        ether 00:20:af:ed:e7:61

No matter what I do, though, I can't get it to say MULTICAST.
Of course, the loopback is multicast, but I don't think that helps.

lo0: flags=8009<UP,LOOPBACK,MULTICAST> mtu 16384
        inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000

I have an mrouter on my subnet, and I have recompiled the kernel with
the "options MROUTING" in it.

The ep0 device works fine.  I can even do point-to-point links with
nv, wb, etc.  If I try to run sd or vat, I get:

IP_ADD_MEMBERSHIP: Can't assign requested address

I don't know what that means.  Of course, Van Jacobsen isn't going to
give me any source code, so I can't go look up what that means,
either!  He won't even write frigging man pages!  Grrr.  Ok, I feel
better now.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Paco
--
Brian "Paco" Hope              Research Assistant, Technical Support Staff
email: paco@virginia.edu                    Department of Computer Science