Date:      Tue, 20 Apr 2010 11:24:44 +0100
From:      "mcoyles" <mcoyles@horbury.wakefield.sch.uk>
To:        "'Matthew Seaman'" <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Kill via Cron...

>>On 20/04/2010 08:52:58, mcoyles wrote:
>> Morning all - on FreeBSD 7.1 (for various reasons - don't ask)
>> Am attempting to run the following via cron but it keeps erroring =
out:
>>=20
>> kill -9 `ps ax | grep backup | grep -v grep | awk '{print $1}'` && =
kill -9
>> `ps ax | grep dump | grep -v grep | awk '{print $1}'`
>>=20
>> *snip*=20
>>=20
>> Works OK from commandline - what do I need to change to make this =
cronable??

> The usual problem is that the environment under cron is not set up
> anything like the way it is for an interactive session.  Particularly
> the PATH.  Either write you command as a small shell script and setup
> PATH within it, or use fully qualified names for all commands.
>
> Your command is probably better expressed as:
>
>     /bin/pkill -9 'backup|dump'

Hi Matthew - cheers for that, I always forget the lack of common path in =
cron *sigh*
Anyhoo, there are multiple instances of backup and dump coming back in =
ps -ax... your
suggested command appears to only kill off the first instance? Have used =
my commands=20
above in cron now using full path reference as per your advice - just =
waiting for the
clock to click round to 11.30 here for them to run...

Cheers...
Marci