Date:      Wed, 14 Apr 2004 07:38:54 -0700
From:      Rick Updegrove <dislists@updegrove.net>
To:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: current qmail-scanner port with clamav and f-prot fails on 4testvirus.org messages

Chuck Swiger wrote:

Thanks for the reply Chuck,

 > At least in the case of ClamAV, one ought to run freshclam on a
 > regular
 > basis, and the port provides a daemon which will keep your definitions
 > up-to-date automaticly.

Thankfully the port sets that up, and I read the documentation.

qscand     2476  0.0  0.2  1520  896  ??  S     7:08AM   0:00.02
/usr/local/bin/clamdscan -r --disable-summary --max-recursion=10
--max-space=1000000 /usr/local/qmailscan/tmp/xxx.ca.gov10819517244792470

 > If your complaint is that neither vendor's most recent definitions
 > fail
 > to catch some known viruses, that's a different problem, which you
 > should discuss with the vendors directly, since that has little to do
 > with FreeBSD ports.

First of all it is the qmail-scanner port itself that is missing
password protected .zip files because it is a version behind still.
Maybe you missed the relevant portions of the original post.

Secondly, the most recent vendor's most recent definitions don't always
work when you are a version or two behind on the scan engine itself.

Thirdly, I am not complaining.  I am trying to help all the users of
these ports by shedding light on the facts.  Of course I (we) have the
ability to manually install these packages using the current sources and
if I get many more replies like this I will just do that and forget
about trying to help make these ports work properly.  If I (we) have to
do that then why even bother to maintain a FreeBSD port for these
packages at all if they don't work effectively?

Lastly, my point is these "ports" are all current according to
"portupgrade -rva" and have current virus definitions yet the
combination allow viruses to get through.  This seems somewhat relevant
to FreeBSD ports to me.

So now that we have cleared up a few things, who wants to discuss a
strategy to maintain an effective FreeBSD virus-scanner port for qmail?

Rick