Date:      Thu, 30 Jan 2003 13:43:03 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Josef Karthauser <joe@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Scott Long <scott_long@btc.adaptec.com>, Sean Chittenden <sean@chittenden.org>, hubs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Statement regarding FreeBSD release ISO images

:>     sysinstall (etc) could then use the master list to provide selections
:>     to the user.
:>=20
:>     This would give sites far more flexibility.  For example, a site might
:>     hold both the alpha and ia64 mirrors, and instead of having to pull=
:=20
:>     CNAME tricks with someone else's DNS the administrator would need onl=
:y=20
:>     edit a single file (/pub/FreeBSD.resources) on his site.
:>=20
:
:Now that I like...
:File format anyone?
:
:Of course it would be possible for a savy script to do a survey of known
:ftp sites and generate the list automatically.....
:
:Joe
:--=20
:Josef Karthauser (joe@tao.org.uk)	       http://www.josef-k.net/
:FreeBSD (cvs meister, admin and hacker)     http://www.uk.FreeBSD.org/

    Well, the primary mover for sysinstall is its options.  We have
    Release Name (e.g. "4.7-STABLE"), and internally we have the
    architecture MACHINE, which is usually "i386" or "pc98" and
    so forth.   We also need to know what is being retrieved... i.e.
    is it an ISO or a SNAPshot/release for sysinstall, etc.  Maybe:

	class,release,machine,path

    so, for example:

	SNAPSHOT,5-LATEST,i386,ftp://current.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/snapshots/i386/5-LATEST
	ISODISK1,RELENG4,i386,ftp://current.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/snapshots/i386/ISO-IMAGES/releng4.iso

    Where 'class' would represent some primary purpose.  So ISODISK1 would mean
    that the path represents an ISO image disk #1 for the specified release and
    machine.

    This leaves the question as to whether a site wishes to store an entire
    snapshot or just, say, "base" or "boot" or something like that.  I'm not
    sure how beneficial further breaking down the class would be but it could
    be supported by extending the specification:

	class[:list],release,machine,path

	SNAPSHOT:floppies:base:boot,5-LATEST,i386,ftp://my.local.machine/pub/FreeBSD/snapshots/i386/5-LATEST

    And simple wildcarding "*" and "?" could also supported.  This is just
    a brainstorm.

    I'm trying to think of this from sysinstall's viewpoint.  Sysinstall
    will know the release and the hardware and it will also know which
    subdirectories it is going to need access to when the user selects the
    distribution set to install.  Combine that with the above format and
    sysinstall would be able to find a list of sites (or even a combination
    of sites) that support the request, possibly also including local
    repositories.

    In fact, it would be pretty cool if we could have some pseudo locators
    that an administrator would be able to program into his local DNS
    server to allow floppy installs within an office to automatically pull
    off the office's server.  Something like adding 'freebsd.localhost.'
    to the servers list.

    I suppose sysinstall could figure all this out by going to the site
    directly, instead of us requiring a resources file, but I think the
    programming would be easier and the network traffic would be reduced
    with a resources file present.

    Another alternative would be to use DNS TXT records instead of a
    resources file.  This would greatly reduce potential network traffic
    and make install-time scanning of potential download sites trivial,
    at the cost of a greater administrative effort.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>