Date:      Fri, 4 Jan 2002 20:27:32 +0000
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Chris Tracy <freebsd-stable-for-chris@db.lm.com>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: GENERIC kernel configuration file

--X1xGqyAVbSpAWs5A

Chris Tracy wrote:

> Today I installed the latest stable snapshot (4.4-20020103-STABLE) and
> when I was configuring my kernel from the GENERIC configuration file,
> I noticed that 'maxusers' was set to '0'.
>=20
> Is this simply a typo, or does it mean something else?

It makes the kernel pick a reasonable default value based on the amount
of main memory.  From sys/kern/subr_param.c:

        if ((maxusers =3D MAXUSERS) =3D=3D 0) {
                maxusers =3D physpages / (1024 * 1024 / PAGE_SIZE);
                if (maxusers < 32)
                    maxusers =3D 32;
                if (maxusers > 512)
                    maxusers =3D 512;
        }

This sets maxusers to the number of megabytes of main memory in the
machine, if the kernel config specifies it as zero, but limits it to the
range 32..512.

--=20
Ben Smithurst / ben@FreeBSD.org                 FreeBSD: The Power To Serve
                                                    http://www.FreeBSD.org/