Date:      Mon, 6 Aug 2001 10:56:50 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Nick Rogness <nick@rogness.net>
To:        Scott Reese <sreese@codysbooks.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: natd[135]:failed to write packet back

On Fri, 3 Aug 2001, Scott Reese wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I just set up a gateway using ipfw and natd is forwarding packets
> between my internal network and the Internet.  I keep seeing the
> message natd[135]: failed to write packet back (permission denied).
> A quick look up of 135 in services shows "loc-srv" as the thing that
> is having problems.  I can't find any documentation about this (I've
> searched the list and there are no man pages that I can find.  I'm
> running 4.3-RELEASE.  Does anyone have any idea of what loc-srv might
> be and why natd is trying to write packets back to it? Does anyone
> know what service uses loc-srv?  Thanks in advance for any help.

	Your firewall is denying the packet, hence the "Permission
	Denied".  IIRC, port 135 is a Windows thing (Netbios crap), so
	either someone is sending you these packets and being denied or
	you are transmitting them out and being denied.  What is the
	source/destination of these packets?

Nick Rogness <nick@rogness.net>
 - Keep on Routing in a Free World...
  "FreeBSD: The Power to Serve!"