Date:      Fri, 1 Jan 2021 01:22:00 +0100
From:      Guido Falsi <mad@madpilot.net>
To:        George Mitchell <george+freebsd@m5p.com>, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Xfce, xfce4-terminal, and UTF-8

On 31/12/20 23:57, George Mitchell wrote:
> On 12/31/20 3:11 PM, George Mitchell wrote:
>> I set LOCALE to en_US.UTF-8 and LC_CTYPE to C.  Upon login, I run
>> setxkbmap -option compose:lwin.  Consequently, I can enter all the
>> UTF-8 characters I need, such as é, ç, and even ™, into most X-based
>> programs I run.  When I first set this up, over a year ago, it also
>> worked for xfce4-terminal, but that stopped working earlier this
>> year.  (At this point, I can't tell you when exactly, because I
>> just worked around the problem with mousepad as necessary.)  Does
>> anyone know the correct fix for this?
>>
>> Happy New Year, and let's all have a great FreeBSD-based 2021!
>> -- George
>>

> I guess I should have been a little more specific about the exact
> failure.  I press the Compose key and two more keys, provoking no
> response at all from xfce4-terminal, but any following keys act
> normally.  I'm pretty sure it all worked under FBSD 11.3, and it
> started to fail some time after I upgraded to 11.4 (don't quote me
> on that) and hasn't worked since I upgraded to 12.1.  (By the way,
> the same failure afflicts plain xterm.)                -- George

I'm not an expert on composition but I'm working on the update to XFCE
4.16. I recently noticed some problems with XFCE 4.14 and composition
(being Italian I use it a lot mainly for accented letters, which are
quite common and essential in my mother tongue).

Unluckily the update is now held back due to issues with some packages
not updating correctly sometimes.

But maybe the update would solve it for you. The update is being worked
on at [1] and [2].

BTW if you're using xfce you can configure your compose key via the
keyboard configuration in xfce4-settings.

Also more strictly on composition, have you checked the combinations you
are using are actually present in the list of known key combinations
(can't recall what file that is in, sorry)

[1] https://github.com/madpilot78/FreeBSD-XFCE-4.15
[2] https://reviews.freebsd.org/D27846

--
Guido Falsi <mad@madpilot.net>