Date:      Mon, 26 Nov 2018 23:44:50 +0000
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@freebsd.org>
To:        Paul Mather <freebsd-lists@gromit.dlib.vt.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: "sockstat: struct xinpgen size mismatch" in 11.2-p4 jail on 12-STABLE host

--1UWUbFP1cBYEclgG

On Sat, Nov 24, 2018 at 09:17:23AM -0500, Paul Mather wrote:
> I updated a system yesterday to the latest 12-STABLE as part of the upcom=
ing 12-RELEASE cycle.  I've installed several BETA and at least one RC of 1=
2 since updating from 11-STABLE as part of the 12 cycle and have had no pro=
blems up to now.  Currently, I am at FreeBSD 12.0-PRERELEASE r340834 GENERI=
C amd64.
>=20
> Since the most recent update, I have been getting this error when I invok=
e "sockstat" in any of the jails running on the system:
>=20
> 	sockstat: struct xinpgen size mismatch
>=20
> The jails are managed via iocage and all are running 11.2-RELEASE-p4, whi=
ch is the most up-to-date version of 11.2-RELEASE.
>=20
> Has anyone encountered this error?  Unfortunately, it means that it break=
s Salt, which is what I use to help manage the jails.  Sockstat works fine =
on the host, just not in the jails.
>=20
> I am using a GENERIC kernel which includes "options COMPAT_FREEBSD11".  I=
 assumed this would allow FreeBSD 11 binaries to work on a FreeBSD 12 kerne=
l, which it has done up to now.

We broke this system management ABI months ago.  I'm not sure why you're
only bumping into this now.

We don't provide backward compatibility for these interfaces.  To make
this configuration work, I'd suggest replacing the sockstat in
the jail with a statically linked version built for FreeBSD 12.

-- Brooks

--1UWUbFP1cBYEclgG

--1UWUbFP1cBYEclgG--