Date:      Sun, 11 Apr 1999 11:55:30 +0200 (MEST)
From:      Richard Gresek <rg@mainzer.plusline.de>
To:        wjw@iae.nl (Willem Jan  Withagen)
Cc:        rowan@sensation.net.au, isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: freebsd used in routers?

I am playing with mrt after reading your mails and would like
to use it towards our upstreams. One is connected via fastethernet
so that won't be a problem. The other one is a E1. Is there some
hardware supported by FreeBSD to connect to E1 or T1?
Something like Cisco's highspeed serial with x.21? Are there
some experiances in production use?

Richard Gresek

> In article <Pine.BSF.4.01.9904051740390.23899-100000@velvet.sensation.net.au> you write:
> >How many of you are using FreeBSD PCs as reasonably high end routers (say
> >512kbit/sec+)? What made you choose this solution and what problems did
> >you face? What sort of hardware are you using?
>
> We have several heavy-duty routers, which do more than their share of work.
> They even route traffic at 1320KBYTE/sec (> 10Mbit/sec), while
> running gated with BGP. They have something like 5 100Mb interfaces.
> (running on a PII-350, with 128Mb RAM) One of the routers was up for more
> than a year before we needed to reboot for maintenace purposes.
>
> So for 512Kbit/sec it would be more than sufficient, I think.
>
> >How do you think the "closed system" of commercial embedded routers
> >compares with an open source system like FreeBSD/pppd/ipfw/gated?
>
> You have the sources! and there free. Unlike Cisco's
>
> --WjW
>
> --
> Internet Access Eindhoven BV.,  voice: +31-40-2 393 393, data: +31-40-2 606 606
> P.O. 928, 5600 AX Eindhoven, The Netherlands
> Full Internet connectivity for only fl 9.95 a month.
> Call now, and login as 'new'.

=======> Deutsches Provider Network <==============

  Plus.Line Systemhaus GmbH   Tel.: +49 69 7589150
  Mainzer Lstr. 224           Fax : +49 69 75891533
  D-60327 Frankfurt           http://www.plusline.de

=======> Deutsches Provider Network <==============