Date:      Tue, 17 Oct 1995 04:09:48 +0300 (MSK)
From:      =?KOI8-R?Q?=E1=CE=C4=D2=C5=CA_=FE=C5=D2=CE=CF=D7?= (aka Andrey A. Chernov, Black Mage) <ache@astral.msk.su>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        hackers@freefall.freebsd.org, joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, kaleb@x.org
Subject:   Re: A couple problems in FreeBSD 2.1.0-950922-SNAP

In message <199510170051.RAA25909@phaeton.artisoft.com> Terry Lambert
    writes:

>For one, my "hack" meets the definition of the ISO ratification of X3J11
>and at the same time conforms to ISO 8859-x character set rules.

>It works for all ISO8859-x users, not just ISO8859-1.

>The difference is wherein the character code points are set based on
>columnar location.  This was, in fact, one of the stated design goals
>of the 8859-x standards.

Well, lets consider D7 char from 8859-1 exactly: is it
ispunct() too f.e, in 8859-5?
Lets consider DF char exactly, is it islower() too f.e. in 8859-5?

BTW, why we even forced to be strictly in 8859 bounds? Why another
charset with lower half equal to ASCII can't live too?

>The one real issue is the collating sequence.  This is a non-issue for
>"7-bit-ASCII-first" sort orders.  They will be correct.  It *IS* an
>issue for "non-internationalized code pretending to be internationalized".

>I have absolutely no sympathy for such code; it should be fixed.

Well, it should be fixed by *WHOM* and *WHEN*? As you don't have sympathy,
maybe you take this task as contacting to authors, fixing, etc.
for each such program? Some of such programs needed right now,
and I can't say to my users that they 'should be fixed', it means
say nothing.

>If you need to make code that isn't internationalized and you want a hack,
>call the setlocale(,"") in main() if the desired program.

It will be broken for locales wich char width > 8bits.
Proper thing is to call non-standard startup_setlocale() which
check char size not exceeds 8bit.

--
Andrey A. Chernov        : And I rest so composedly,  /Now, in my bed,
ache@astral.msk.su       : That any beholder  /Might fancy me dead -