Date:      Mon, 5 Nov 2001 01:32:27 -0800
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Terminator" <jimmy@mtc.dhs.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: NIC memory corrupt

The NE2000 card type doesen't use shared memory, it's PIO only.  So
that would lean more towards possible cabling problems.  But a conflict
with another card still isn't completely out of the question.

Also check some other things, like your BIOS settings, make sure that the PCI
bus is running at the standard speed and you haven't hotted it up,
and your CPU is running at rated speed and isn't overclocked, etc.

>BTW, I recompiled the kernel and enabled PNP BIOS option, then I got
>something like the following in booting:
>
>unknown: <PNP0000> can't assign resources
>unknown: <PNP0303> can't assign resources
>unknown: <PNP0501> can't assign resources
>unknown: <PNP0501> can't assign resources
>unknown: <PNP0400> can't assign resources
>unknown: <PNP0700> can't assign resources
>unknown: <PNP0c02> can't assign resources
>
>Perhaps this is the reason and I shall turn this option off in kernel?
>How to do it? Is there anyway to do it without recompile kernel again?

Sounds like you don't have "PnP-OS" turned on in your BIOS settings
or perhaps go into PCI settings and make sure that you don't have
all the interrupts and such pre-assigned.  All the interrupts should
be set to PnP unless you have an ISA card with actual jumpers on it that set
the card resources.