Date:      Tue, 02 Jul 2002 09:23:54 -0700
From:      Jason DiCioccio <geniusj@bluenugget.net>
To:        Jeff Palmer <scorpio@drkshdw.org>, Patrick Cahalan <pat@idealab.com>
Cc:        security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: I'll volunteer

--On Tuesday, July 2, 2002 9:33 AM -0400 Jeff Palmer <scorpio@drkshdw.org>
wrote:

> I'll second this notion, and volunteer as well.

What seperates this list from BUGTRAQ is the fact that is unmoderated IMHO.
It is also dealing with FreeBSD security specifically, however the fact
that it's unmoderated makes it really useful in my book.  I don't mind and
do think that many times, there are useful arguments made in some of these
long threads.  Brett Glass makes some valid points as well, imho.  I'm sure
I'm not the only one who feels that way, but not everyone wants to admit it
:)..

The fact that this list is unmoderated usually means that I get my
information quicker from this list than I do from bugtraq, and that is
important to me and to others I'm sure.  I don't have to wait for a list
moderator to approve an important post.  I also don't have to worry about a
bias that the list moderator might have which would prevent an important
post from making the list.  This list goes off topic sometimes, but it's
easy enough to ignore a thread.

Perhaps one of these camps should start its own list, whether it's
@freebsd.org or not.  But I personally enjoy having an unmoderated source
for security information and discussion, even if it's off topic once and a
while.

I hope these ramblings made some sense.

Cheers,
-JD-

--
Jason DiCioccio     - jd@bluenugget.net  - Useless .sig
Open Domain Service - geniusj@ods.org    - http://www.ods.org/

PGP Fingerprint - C442 04E2 26B0 3809 8357  96AB D350 9596 0436 7C08