Date:      Sun, 27 Apr 2008 21:33:28 -0700
From:      Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu@freebsd.org>
To:        Greg Rivers <gcr+freebsd-ports@tharned.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: smartmontools-5.38 and cciss RAID controller

On Sun, Apr 27, 2008 at 02:08:11PM -0500, Greg Rivers wrote:
> The recent incorporation of the FreeBSD CISS SMART support into the
> mainstream smartmontools distribution has had some unexpected results on
> several HP ProLiant DL380 G3 machines.  I have five DL380/G3s with four
> drives each; all have the same symptoms now: querying a given ciss/scsi
> target gives results for the wrong drive:
>
> smartctl -iH -d cciss,0 /dev/ciss0  gives results for target 2
> "               cciss,1 "           "                        3
> "               cciss,2 "           does not see the drive there
> "               cciss,3 "           gives results for target 0
> "               cciss,4 "           "                        1
>
> The actual drives are at targets 0, 1, 2 and 3.

Which build (date) of the smartmontools-5.38 port are you using?

When the port was initially upgraded to 5.38, the CISS support patch
(for 5.37 and below) was left in.  It later turned out that the CISS
support patch was not needed at all, because 5.38 incorporates support
for CISS natively, thus was removed.

See here:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/ports/sysutils/smartmontools/Makefile