Date:      Mon, 27 Feb 95 10:57:33 MST
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        pst@Shockwave.COM (Paul Traina)
Cc:        mycroft@ai.mit.edu, hackers@freefall.cdrom.com, security@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: key exchange for rlogin/telnet services?

> Hence the disclaimer in front... can you go any further than "take this with
> 3 grains of salt?"
>
> I'll go dig out my copy of applied crypto and see where I went wrong, but
> I was almost positive you needed to use RSA to bootstrap the initial
> secret exchange.

[ ... ]

>   Diffie-Hellman key exchange has no relation to RSA public key
>   encryption.

I thought (well, RSA thinks) that the RSA patents cover *all* known
public key encryption techniques?

Diffie-Hellman requires public key for the initial exchange, and is
in fact a technique for secure exchange of keys.

I thought it was also patented by PKP/RSA?

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---
or previous employers.