Date:      Tue, 24 Oct 2000 16:39:24 +0200
From:      Arild =?iso-8859-1?Q?Eiken=E6s?= Vengen <arild.vengen@erasmus.uib.no>
To:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Promise Ultra-ATA100 vs FastTrak 100 Speeds

Steve Coles wrote:

> There has been a lot of press that these are the same cards, and I
> seem to remember that FreeBSD treats the FastTrak as just an IDE
> controller, so can anyone enlighten me on the vast speed differential
> between the two:
<snip>
> Summarised Results
> ------------------
> 1) One drive alone (no ccd) reads and writes at 30 Mb/Sec
> 2) Ultra 100 reads and writes at 29 MB/sec
> 3) FastTrak 100 writes at 50 MB/sec, reads at 48 MB/sec

> 1) Why is the Ultra so slow ( constructive answers only please :) ?

The only thing I can think of is that the Ultra 100 isn`t utilizing the
udma/100-channel, and falls back to udma/33, since both reads and writes
are at 29MB/sec witch is just maxing out the udma/33-standard. When
running my IBM 75GXP off of an udma/33-controller (BX-chipset) I never
get more than 29MB/sec, never 31 or 32MB/sec.

I seem to remember something about the udma/66-versions from Promise
(both RAID and non-RAID) was the same card (with a different BIOS), but
I thought the udma/100-versions had more differences.

Arild.