Date:      Thu, 19 Jun 1997 13:24:25 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        dgy@rtd.com (Don Yuniskis)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, dgy@rtd.com, freebsd-hackers@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Opus diskettes

> > dd if=/dev/floppy skip=4k conv=swab of=file_without_VTOC
>
> Hmmm... perhaps you meant ^^ "8" since skip expects # of blocks
> as an argument?
>
> In either case, this doesn't cut the mustard  :-(  I looked through
> a few other OPFIL's and they *don't* appear to be compressed.  For
> example, one contained /etc/.profile which was entirely readable.
>
> Perhaps just a tape archive with some bogus crap on the front
> end?  file(1) sees them as "data"  (BFD!)

I doubt the data is compressed as well; the statement up front
was that the disks contained compressed data.

The 4k is a VTOC (Volume Table Of Contents); it is the old-SRV3
"disklabel" which was a non-optional result of the "format"
command.

Generally, we used the disks for tar archives; however, you should
also check for cpio archives (more likely; without the extra
package installed, SVR3 did not have tar, only cpio, especially
on OPUS and Fortune systems boxes).

Worst case, they are S51K file systems.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org