Date:      Thu, 10 Feb 2011 10:27:28 +0200
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net>
To:        Chris Rees <utisoft@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-standards@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Should we imitate GNU test's insanity?

--ew6BAiZeqk4r7MaW

On Wed, Feb 09, 2011 at 08:46:11PM +0000, Chris Rees wrote:
> Hi all,
>=20
> I've found so many cases of autoconf failing when porting Linux apps
> over, for example scilab and musicpd due to the happiness of GNU test
> to accept a =3D=3D b rather than a =3D b.
>=20
> Rather than making a bug report that'll be brushed off (as my bug
> report for GNU find was), would it be unthinkable for me to make a
> patch for our test to make =3D=3D acceptable, to stop some wasted porters'
> time?
>=20
> Obviously our behaviour is correct [1], I just wonder if we're cutting
> off our noses so as to speak.
>=20
> Chris
>=20
> [1] http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/utilities/test.html

Funny that this should come up right now - just a couple of days ago, a
discussion started on the Austin Group list about extending test(1) with
some widely-used operators.  I wonder if we shouldn't wait a bit to see
how that discussion turns out :)

https://www.opengroup.org/sophocles/show_mail.tpl?source=3DL&listname=3Daus=
tin-group-l&id=3D15271

For the follow-up discussion, see:

https://www.opengroup.org/sophocles/show_archive.tpl?listname=3Daustin-grou=
p-l

(and of course, if anybody knows of another web-based archive for the
Austin Group list that provides an easier way to see the follow-ups,
please share a link :)

G'luck,
Peter

--=20
Peter Pentchev	roam@ringlet.net roam@FreeBSD.org peter@packetscale.com
Hey, out there - is it *you* reading me, or is it someone else?

--ew6BAiZeqk4r7MaW

--ew6BAiZeqk4r7MaW--