Date:      Wed, 31 Mar 1999 09:13:52 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
To:        "Justin C. Walker" <justin@apple.com>
Cc:        "'Hackers@FreeBSD.ORG'" <Hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: RE: AIX going BSD

>          Do you mean SunOS 5.x?  I think Solaris 2 == SunOS 5 (not
> counting Solaris 7, of course :-}).  Also, I wouldn't be surprised
> that OSF/1 incorporated some 4.4 stuff, but it really does predate
> 4.4BSD.

No, I mean SunOS 4.X which was BSD derived. Here's the history as I
remember it- which could be totally wrong...

(late) BSD 4.1

	-> SunOS 1 (?)

BSD 4.3 -> SunOS 4.0

SunOS 4.X stuff (vnode/specfs) -> BSD 4.4

SunOS 4.X stuff -> AT&T SVr4 merges in (VM and Specfs stuff)

SVr4 -> (incoming! Aiee!) -> Solaris (SunOS 5.X)....

And like the culture of that time, all without condoms...