Date:      Thu, 25 Feb 1999 17:16:53 +0100
From:      Pierre Beyssac <beyssac@enst.fr>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@iafrica.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IDE CDROM not found with PIIX4 chipset, -current kernel

On Thu, Feb 25, 1999 at 02:09:31PM +1030, Greg Lehey wrote:
> > Wow. Thanks a million! I didn't even have to go so far, I just
> > deleted wd2 and wd3 and acd0 now appears as if by magic. I can't
> > tell you how extremely stupid I now feel...
>
> You shouldn't do.  What you did shouldn't have any effect on the
> problem.

Yet it definitely has. The CDROM never probed before, now it does
(at least every time I tried: only about half a dozen reboots for
the moment).

So there's probably something strange with the probe code and how
it interacts with wd[0-3] declarations.

So the CDROM now probes correctly, but OTOH I didn't manage to use
it. I get the following message every time:

bofh /kernel: atapi1.0: controller not ready for cmd

The machine then seems to hang, more or less (X11 kindly moves the
mouse pointer, but the network is dead).

> FreeBSD still has difficulties with some ATAPI CD-ROM drives.  If you
> continue to have trouble (and I suspect you will), you should enter a
> PR with send-pr or at http://www.freebsd.org/send-pr.html.  Make sure
> to give exact details of your hardware and software configuration.

I tried to find out why it worked with a Linux kernel by comparing
our IDE code and theirs, but it was way beyond my comprehension.
I'm not trained for the black magic of IDE probing.

I'll try to investigate some more, then I'll try a bug report.
--
Pierre Beyssac		pb@enst.fr