Date:      Sun, 29 Jul 2001 23:19:25 -0700
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Sysop_Blast IRCOP <sysop_blast@hotmail.com>
Cc:        kris@obsecurity.org, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: releng questions

--oyUTqETQ0mS9luUI

On Sun, Jul 29, 2001 at 10:27:52PM -0500, Sysop_Blast IRCOP wrote:
> Ouch, so then is it correct to assume there is no way to avoid recompilin=
g=20
> the kernel on a fresh install? I often have to install on a group a machi=
nes=20
> at a time and I am looking to do it as painlessly and quickly as posible.=
 I=20
> have never been a big fan of compiling. Not that brave I guess.

Yes, you have to recompile the kernel at least once (if you have
machines which can boot the same kernel image you can just install
multiple times).  Because kernels are usually highly site-specific
it's hard for us to produce an upgrade package which is useful, but I
was thinking of making a kernel.GENERIC upgrade package available for
4.3-RELEASE users.

> Do you have to have the source installed to recompile the kernel?

The kernel sources, yes.

> Would you recommend buying 4.3 or waiting for 4.4?

That's up to you.  4.3 has known security problems (see recent
advisories).  4.4 is a month or so away.

Kris
--oyUTqETQ0mS9luUI

--oyUTqETQ0mS9luUI--