Date:      Wed, 25 Sep 1996 22:02:41 -0500
From:      rkw@dataplex.net (Richard Wackerbarth)
To:        "Robert Rutter" <rjr@sparks.empath.on.ca>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Deleted /usr/lib/libgnumalloc.so.2.0

>Is there an XFree86 Beta G compiled against -current that doesn't need
>/usr/lib/libgnumalloc.so.2.0?
>
>My present recourse is <GAG>...
>
>55 * * * * [ -f /usr/lib/libgnumalloc.so.2.0 ] || \
>        ln -s /usr/lib/libfakegnumalloc.so.2.0 /usr/lib/libgnumalloc.so.2.0
>
>I'd fix the Makefile but CTM chokes if checksums don't match.  Enough
>disk space for CVS and/or compiling my own XFree86 is not in sight either.

What you need to do is:
1) Remove the source from /usr/src and put it someplace that you won't want
to change it. I use /pub/FreeBSD/FreeBSD-current/src/.....

2) Use lndir to make a clone of the source tree in /usr/src

3) Modify whatever files you wish by replacing the symbolic link with your
modified file.