Date:      Mon, 15 Jun 1998 21:44:41 -0500
From:      greeves <sysadmin@mfn.org>
To:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "hua@nease.net" <hua@nease.net>, "'Thomas David Rivers'" <rivers@dignus.com>
Subject:   RE: Is there any "race condition" in FFS?

OK, now you've got me nervous!  Here I am about to begin turning mail
services here over to FBSD and Popper et al. (from NT with IMS - a really
great mail server whose mail flaw is running on NT ;-)  and you send me
word of th "David Rivers Daily Memorial Panic"???

Is this phenomenon associated with any particular set of conditions
which I can avoid?  This is *very* serious from my perspective: let's
face it Email is the *one* thing that will fire up an otherwise brain-dead
user to action!  I certainly don't need 5000 daily complaints from angry
users and frustrated bosses :)

Should I be sticking with our NT mail servers for now?

Thanks,
J.A. Terranson
sysadmin@mfn.org

<SNIP>
> 	Recently,some of our Server always down due to the FFS error.
> 	the situation can be describe below:

 Al -

   I believe you'll find similar situations in the FreeBSD mail
 archives.  Look for "daily panic", and the "Dave Rivers memorial
 panic" in the freebsd-hackers mail archive.
<SNIP>
   But, there is some good news.  People have reported that the problem
 appears to have gone away in version 3.0 (likely as a good side-effect
 of other changes.)   You might want to try using 3.0 on your server.