Date:      Fri, 17 Dec 1999 15:56:08 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <charon@hades.hell.gr>
To:        Jason <jasonc@concentric.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installing 3.3 from CDROM

On Thu, Dec 16, 1999 at 11:34:04PM -0500, Jason wrote:
| the spinning slash thingie starts up.  Then The following message
| Hit [Enter] to boot immediately, or any other key for command prompt.
| Booting [kernel in xx seconds...
|
| it then counts down.  I hit any other key for command prompt and it tells me
| to hit ? for command list and help for detailed help.  Help does not work
| but ? shows me the following commands
| disk0s4a:>

This last line means that your BSD is trying to boot from disk 0 (the
first disk of your system), slice 4, label `a'.  Since the slice number
is what DOS world calls a `partition', I think that you might find it
handy to know that BSD can not boot from a slice too far from the start
of the disk's beginning.  If repartitioning is not an option, because
you do not have enough unused space for temporary storage, you can
always use Partition Magic (which runs on Windows) and rearrange your
partitions to have a minimal first partition for BSD to boot from, and
then your Windows partitions, followed by another BSD partition, which
you can label at will to contain your /usr, /var, and other BSD mount
points.  A 64 Mb partition should be enough for your / filesystem, most
of the time, if you mount /var and /tmp from some other partition with
more available space; since usage of the latter two tend to grow a bit.

My setup (with BSD / on slice 1, and Windows on slice 2) looks like:

	slice#	size	OS	 mntpoint
	wd0s1	64 Mb	BSD	 /
	wd0s2	1 Gb	Windows	 C:
	wd0s3	4+ Gb	BSD	 /tmp, /var, /usr

| as for the email program I am using you are the first to tell me
| there is a problem with it....everyone I know uses some sort of
| wordprocessor like email program that puts CR/LF at the end of
| paragraphs not lines...lines are autowraped based on window size.

I will keep myself away from the flames that a statement along the
lines of `word processors are not the right tool for email' can and
usually will cause bouncing back on me... no, thank you.

| I dont know how to chage my email to fit less compatible email
| clients.  sorry

It seems that I somehow fail to understand the exact notion of
'compatibility' that you're referring to, but if it may be of any
practical value:

I can see from your message headers that you're using Outlook.  There
is an option for sending plain text messages in "Sending" tab box at
the options of Outlook, that also contains a "wrap long lines at..."
text box where you can insert 72 and be done with it ;)

I do not have Outlook anywhere near to give you the exact menu/dialog
entries, but you're a smart guy, you can find it easily enough I hope.

Ciao.

--
Giorgos Keramidas, <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
"What we have to learn to do, we learn by doing." [Aristotle]