Date:      Wed, 19 Jun 2002 22:09:07 -0400
From:      "David E. Cross" <crossd@cs.rpi.edu>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   projects?

I have a graduate student who cam to me about a masters project involving
some work with FreeBSD.  He has currently zero knowledge of the Kernel, and
is looking to change that, but he needs ideas.  His previous areas of
interest are primarily focused on networking; RED/GRED/ECN, routing, etc.
He is however "quite sick" of networking, and was originally looking at
the VM code as a potential area (he is gaining an interest in
parallelization and synchronization).  I suggested this may be too
ambitious for someone with zero previous exposure to the kernel (what
do others think?)  As alternate projects I suggested:

Memory Compaction:  compacting physical memory, maintaining coloring
VFS:  nullfs, unionfs, etc...
OpenAFS:  Speaks for itself.

What do people here think?  Anyone have other ideas that I can forward on?
He is eager to work with others and seek guidance; some of which I can
provide (how much depends on the project of course ;).

(He is looking to spend 2 hours a day for roughly 6 months on this project;
ideally he would want a project where he can gather data on the results, most
of my projects do not fall into that category).

--
David Cross                               | email: crossd@cs.rpi.edu
Lab Director                              | Rm: 308 Lally Hall