Date:      Mon, 21 Apr 2003 11:12:12 -0700
From:      Mike Hunter <mhunter@ack.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        Craig Reyenga <creyenga@connectmail.carleton.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Hang after running out of memory

On Apr 21, "Craig Reyenga" wrote:

> From: "Mike Hunter" <mhunter@ack.berkeley.edu>
> > I've experienced similar things after running out of memory.  It seemed
> > like the scheduler went crazy:  The only way I could get my ssh session to
> > keep talking was to start other ssh sessions, which would buy me about 20
> > keystrokes.  shutdown -r got half done and failed into a weird state.  I
> > think the kernel was from around April 8.
> >

> Was it SCHED_ULE? That's the one I've been using.

No, it's SCHED_4BSD.  I think my scheduler remark was unfounded.  What I
should have said is that doing weird stuff like banging on the keys and
making new ssh connections into the box seemed to help the terminal I was
actually trying to use get cycles.  There are probably more things than
just a wacked out scheduler that could produce that.

Mike