Date:      Sat, 17 Oct 1998 05:08:29 -0500
From:      Benjamin Lewis <bhlewis@gte.net>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: softupdates and sync

> > 	If I remove a huge directory with on a volume that has soft
> > updates enabled, then my df avail stat doesn't change (although the
> > rm happens very very fast).  So, I type sync, and there isn't much
> > disk activity and the df stat is still the same.  So I wait a while,
> > no disk activity.  After 5 minutes I unmount and remount the volume.
> > The unmout causes a huge amount of traffic to the disk.  On remount
> > the missing space reappears.

> It's "normal", but it shouldn't take minutes; the buckets are meant to
> cycle around every 30 seconds or so.  You haven't tweaked the update
> timer by any chance, have you?

I think the same sort of thing was happening to me yesterday.  I also managed
to panic the machine by forcing a write to a read-only file (as root) and
since I had just done a make aout-to-elf, fsck was very unhappy after the
reboot.  I've since disabled softupdates on my /usr partition (they were never
enabled on /), and everything's fine (if a lot slower).

-Ben
--
Benjamin Lewis
bhlewis@gte.net         -or-       bhlewis@purdue.edu