Date:      Mon, 11 Oct 1999 13:46:03 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jaime Kikpole <jaime@malkav.snowmoon.com>
To:        Jeff Gray <jwg@netbox.com>
Cc:        Bill <ankzt@maine.60north.net>, Jeff Gray <jwgray@netbox.com>, cjclark@home.com, Questions at FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: fixed IP, losing net connection

On Mon, 11 Oct 1999, Jeff Gray wrote:
> I then went to an independent ISP connection and could still ping the
> address.  My theory is that the IP address has been hijacked by another.
> Called my cable service supplier and they agreed.

	Make sure that your ISP's left hand knows what the right hand is
doing.  In this case, make sure that they're not handing out your static
IP via DHCP.  If not, then the most likely reason for the problem is
someone else on their system who doesn't know how to configure his/her
computer or who is trying to get a static IP without paying for it.

						Jaime