Date:      Fri, 14 Mar 1997 09:17:26 +0100
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        wjgrun@poboxes.com (Bill Grunfelder)
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Hardware Failure error message

As Bill Grunfelder wrote:

> Any hints as to what this error message means?

With two or three people per week asking this question, seems we ought
to right a FAQ entry for it... :)

>  The drive seems to be running OK, but I get this error message 2 or
> 3 times a day.  (And I don't like the way it sounds

I wouldn't like it either.

> Mar 13 11:18:13 machinename /kernel: sd1(bt0:5:0): HARDWARE FAILURE asc:1,0
> No index/sector signal

I think this is pretty obvious, isn't it?  The drive doesn't find some
of its synchronization marks.  I wouldn't trust it for any important
data.

Perhaps reformatting might help you.  /sbin/scsiformat -wq sd1...

I've got a drive that sometimes gets a lot of them:

/kernel: sd0(aha0:0:0): MEDIUM ERROR info:1e030 asc:14,0 Recorded entity not found field replaceable unit: 38
/kernel: , retries:3
/kernel: sd0(aha0:0:0): MEDIUM ERROR info:1e030 asc:14,0 Recorded entity not found field replaceable unit: 38
/kernel: , retries:2
/kernel: sd0(aha0:0:0): MEDIUM ERROR info:1e030 asc:14,0 Recorded entity not found field replaceable unit: 38
/kernel: , retries:1

Anyway, it's 1.2 GB of scratch space, and despite of these messages, i
have even seen `make world's completing on this drive.  So i don't
throw it away but use it for experimenting, release tests, SCSI device
driver stress tests :) etc.

--
cheers, J"org