Date:      Fri, 23 Jun 2000 16:24:57 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Nik Clayton <nik@FreeBSD.ORG>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        papowell@astart.com
Subject:   Re: Bringing LPRng into FreeBSD?

At 1:31 PM -0400 6/23/00, Garance A Drosihn wrote:
>At 10:16 PM +0000 6/21/00, Nik Clayton wrote:
>>Patrick wants feedback on whether or not FreeBSD would be
>>interested in adopting LPRng as our official LPR implementation,
>>(src/contrib/lprng, presumably).  I said I'd raise the issue
>>on -arch, and then, not being much  of a printer maven, step
>>back while everyone talks the issue back and forth.
>
>Given that it is like pulling teeth to get anyone to add an
>update to our current version of lpr, I suppose this is a
>good thing.

My obvious frustration probably clouds my last message too
much.  Here's a somewhat more helpful suggestion.  First,
I assume that whatever GNU-licensed code in lprNG can be
replaced by BSD/artistic-licensed code, so I won't talk
about licensing issues.

Second, my guess is that lprNG will not be a perfectly
compatible drop-in replacement for freebsd's current lpr.
I do expect it would work fine for most people, but that
some people will find that they will have to futz around
with their printcap/printing setup to get the behavior they
are used to (whatever that may be...).  That might be an
annoying extra step in upgrading to whatever release of
freebsd that this happens on.

This suggests to me that MAYBE we don't want to bring lprNG
into the base system, so much as MOVE the current lpr from
the base system into a port.  Wherever it is that someone
selects that they want 'printing' on their freebsd config,
they could select either this new port or the lprNG-based
port.

Does this seem reasonable/practical/useful?

---
Garance Alistair Drosehn           =   gad@eclipse.acs.rpi.edu
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute