Date:      Tue, 21 Oct 2008 17:11:57 GMT
From:      Dwayne Hart <dwayneh@ssimicro.com>
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   i386/128276: machine lock up when gmirror module is used

>Number:         128276
>Category:       i386
>Synopsis:       machine lock up when gmirror module is used
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
Performed a full install of FreeBSD 7.0 onto the following hardware.

CPU:  2 x Intel Xeon E5405 Quad-Core 2.00GHz, 12MB Cache, 1333MHz FSB, 45nm Hi-k
RAM:  4GB (2 x 2GB) 667MHz Fully Buffered DIMM - Interleaved
NIC:  Dual Intel 82563EB 10/100/1000 Mbps NICs (w/ I/OAT) - Integrated
Hot-Swap Drive - 1:  1TB Seagate Barracuda ES.2 (3Gb/s, 7.2Krpm, 32MB Cache, NCQ) SATA
Hot-Swap Drive - 2:  1TB Seagate Barracuda ES.2 (3Gb/s, 7.2Krpm, 32MB Cache, NCQ) SATA
Hot-Swap Drive - 3:  1TB Seagate Barracuda ES.2 (3Gb/s, 7.2Krpm, 32MB Cache, NCQ) SATA
Hot-Swap Drive - 4:  1TB Seagate Barracuda ES.2 (3Gb/s, 7.2Krpm, 32MB Cache, NCQ) SATA
Fixed Drive:  80GB Western Digital SE (1.5Gb/s, 7.2Krpm, 8MB Cache) SATA
Integrated SATA:  6 x SATA Ports via Intel ESB2 SATA Controller
HBA:  LSI Logic SAS3081E-R 3GB/S 8port SAS PCIe HBA

We used the 80GB drive (connected to motherboard) to host our operating system. The other 1TB SATA drives were seen as direct attached storage. We wished to make use of gmirror to configure two mirrored software raids of the remaining hard drives. However, upon trying to load the kernel module using the 'gmirror load' command or if we put the "geom_mirror_load=YES" string in the loader.conf file and had the machine load it upon boot up the machine would lock up completely.

However, when we tried using a Production (Legacy) Release 6.3 everything worked properly. The environment for this installation is

eggo# uname -a
FreeBSD eggo.ssimicro.com 6.3-RELEASE FreeBSD 6.3-RELEASE #0: Wed Jan 16 04:45:45 UTC 2008     root@dessler.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/SMP  i386
>How-To-Repeat:
Either using the command 'gmirror load' or have the machine load the module via the loader.conf containing the string geom_mirror_load=YES.