Date:      Mon, 03 Apr 2000 12:56:07 +0100
From:      Paul Richards <paul@originative.co.uk>
To:        Doug Barton <Doug@gorean.org>
Cc:        Lowell Gilbert <lowell@world.std.com>, roberto@idirect.com, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: USER LIMIT in freebsd

Doug Barton wrote:

> Lowell Gilbert wrote:
> >
> > roberto@idirect.com writes:
> >
> > > I have a mail server running freebsd 3.2 I have com e into a snag. The
> > > server does not seem to want to support more than 32000 users in fact if I
> > > try to add more it croaks. Is this a kernel limit, adduser limit, pw_mkdb
> > > limit ?? How can I increase and/or make this an almost impossible to reach
> > > number?

The 32000 is an adduser limit and can safely be bumped higher (see
below).

> > The actual limit is 2^32, or over 4 billion.
> >
> > However, for historical reasons, you get a warning from pwd_mkdb(8)
> > when trying to use values over 2^15.  Although FreeBSD itself can use
> > 32-bit uids just fine, there may be some external programs that can't,
> > and NFS version 2 is incapable of using uids larger than that number
> > (it's built right into the protocol).
> >
> > If you're not using NFS, you should be just fine.
>
>         NFS v3 handles it ok, we (are forced to) use big UID's on many of our
> freebsd systems that communicate with Sun nfsd's. Also, in FreeBSD 4.0
> there is an environment variable that you can set which supresses the
> warning.

It's PW_SCAN_BIG_IDS. Prior to 4.0 the evironment variable existed but
all it did was disable warnings. It didn't make things work :-(

I fixed pwd_mkdb to work with a full 32 bit uid in 4.0 (at least on the
i386) but I don't recommend that you use it because there are bugs
elsewhere in the system that will screw you if you do.

You should be safe using values up to 65535 but no higher. It's on my
todo list to fix some of the other problems but it's not at the top
(it's about 3rd at the moment).

Paul.