Date:      Sun, 30 Aug 1998 12:07:45 +0200
From:      "Lutz Albers" <lutz@muc.de>
To:        "William S. Duncanson" <caesar@starkreality.com>, <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Questions regarding make world

> I tried to build world tonight, and got an error message from the linker.
> I know it's missing a library, but damned if I can tell WHAT library.  The
> flag being passed is -ll (dash ell ell).  It's not a very
> descriptive name,
> unlike -lsocket, or -lcurses, which are pretty easy to figure out:).  Any
> ideas what's missing?  And where to get it?

The flag -lxxx translates to a library libxxx, so -ll searches for libl.a
(or libl.so). On my machine it resides in /usr/lib:

lutz@morranon[~] > ll `locate libl.`
-r--r--r--  3 bin  bin  440 Mar 25 02:54 /usr/lib/libl.a

It's the lex library.

ciao
  lutz

--
Lutz Albers, lutz@muc.de, pgp key available from <http://www.pgp.net>;
Do not take life too seriously, you will never get out of it alive.