Date:      Mon, 25 Nov 1996 19:20:48 -0600
From:      jlemon@americantv.com (Jonathan Lemon)
To:        imp@village.org (Warner Losh)
Cc:        kegrotla@korrnet.org (Kjell E Grotland), msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith), freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IBM 57SLC

Warner Losh writes:
> In message
> <Pine.GSO.3.95.961125194844.29281A-100000@clarion.korrnet.org> Kjell E
> Grotland writes:
> :      Thanks for your reply as to the micro channel question. Do you think
> : there will be a FreeBSD in the future which will support microchannel.
>
> While I'm not a FreeBSD core member and can't speak for them, I really
> doubt it.  It is too poorly documented in the publicly available
> documentation to consider supporting.  About the only way it will be
> supported is if we have someone inside IBM that can get access to the
> docs do it, and if we can get the legal requirements squared away...

Is IBM even building MCA machines anymore?

But it might be interesting to have FBSD support them.  The university
here is selling piles of these old 386 PS/2 machines for something like
$5/stack of 8.  (Yes, they are stripped, but they still work.)
Might make nice (really really cheap) routers.
--
Jonathan