Date:      Mon, 5 Oct 1998 18:50:04 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        oppermann@pipeline.ch (Andre Oppermann)
Cc:        gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: filesystem safety and SCSI disk write caching

> > I think that is very dependant on the server type. PC NetWare fileservers
> > probably have very different access patterns to (say) a web server or a mail
> > server. Let alone a news server.
>
> Is there a way to gather such statistics on FreeBSD?
>
> I'd like to run it on all my boxes (and others) to get representative
> figures. After that we can discuss optimizations.

This would be a very good idea.

It would be best to instrument at the lowest level, *below* where
soft updates does its implicit write gathering, and/or any elevator
sorting occurs.

I have suggested one set of instrumentation, which is interval sampling
of number of tagged commands outstanding, which would resolve once
and for all the current debate.  Unfortunately, I don't have the
good firmware that Justin seems to have, and thus I can't really
make the measurements myself.  It also seemed to me that the authors
of the CAM code would be in a better position about where to validly
determine max tag loading than I, and so would be better suited to
the task of coding up the statistics gathering.

One method of testing FreeBSD, but which would include testing SAMBA,
would be to run the Ziff Davis "NetBench" suite against a FreeBSD
machine acting as a server.  There are similar benchmarks (LANBench?)
available for download from Novell, laast time I looked at the FTP site.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.