Date:      Sat, 8 Mar 1997 09:59:24 -0800
From:      Sean Eric Fagan <sef@Kithrup.COM>
To:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CNET announces InterJet...

In article <199703080605.XAA09748.kithrup.freebsd.chat@obie.softweyr.ml.org> you write:
>How 'bout the fact that it costs $2000, and you can do the same yourself
>with a $500 machine and FreeBSD?

It would cost a bit more than $500 to have the hardware equivalence that the
InterJet has, and you still wouldn't end up with the convenience and
packaging.

Also, you then wouldn't have the software, which, of course, is the VA part
of the box.  Yes, you could get FreeBSD, but there's more to the IJ than
just the OS.  The biggest part, I think, is the administrative interface
(http based), and the combined all-in-one package.  (That it comes largely
preconfigured from your ISP is irrelevent, as you could do that today
anyway, if your ISP were willing to do it.)

My FreeBSD box takes some minimal manual administering.  The InterJet
doesn't.

(Okay, I'm a bit biased -- I just spent a couple of hours with Whistle
people yesterday.  But I do think it's a neat product.  Not one I would want
to pay $2k for, but I do think it has its niche.)