Date:      Thu, 29 Jan 1998 01:28:18 -0500 (EST)
From:      Bill Paul <wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu>
To:        toasty@home.dragondata.com (Kevin Day)
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: identd broken?

Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, Kevin Day had
to walk into mine and say: >

> Identd hasn't seemed happy on my system lately...
>
> Jan 27 14:40:05 shell identd[3904]: getbuf: bad address (00000014 not in f0100000-0xFFC00000) - ofile
[chop]

> Is this new, or am I doing something wrong?
>
> I've rebuilt the world, and identd several times. :)
>
> Kevin

David Greenman recently committed some code that modifies the way PCBs
are handled. He mentioned in the commit log message that it would be
necessary to recompile things like netstat (and fstat) to make them happy
with the new structures and routines. If recompiling identd on a newly
bootstrapped world (i.e. with all the new headers in place so that
identd can get at them) doesn't cure the problem, then the identd
code probably needs to be tweaked to accomodate the changes. Normally
Normally things like this make me grumble a bit, but according to
David's observations, these changes improve performance quite a bit.
Unfortunately, you have to be prepared to expect breakage with programs
like identd which grope around inside kernel structures.

Come to think of it, somebody might want to check and see if lsof still
works too.

-Bill