Date:      Wed, 15 Apr 2015 21:47:53 -0700
From:      Marc Fournier <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        scrappy@freebsd.org
Subject:   BSDStats v6.0 now available

Hi =E2=80=A6

If you have never heard of it, BSDStats <http://bsdstats.org/>; is a =
sampling of users of the given BSD operating systems that opted to =
install a data collection program. It is not representative in any way =
of the total population of users/installations of the given BSD =
operating systems.

For those security minded (all of us?), this is a completely Anonymous =
Collector.  When you run it the first time, a KEY/TOKEN pair is =
generated between the client and the server, and stored in =
/var/db/bsdstats =E2=80=A6 that pair is used in all communications, and =
works perfectly well through PROXY servers, as we DO NOT store / use =
your hostname or IP at any point.

Over the past several weeks, there has been work done to fix some issues =
with BSDStats 5.x, with the following bugs fixed:

* Fixed the problem that few last packages in the list were always =
missing from submission (patch originally developed by Marc)
* Optimization of collection of installed packages information =
(bug#198650)
* Added TOR port option to submit anonymously (bug#198679)
* Fixed the problem that HTTP_PROXY option didn't work when =
user/password were required
* Reduced the effect of -nodelay, before it also prevented the =
submission of package information
* Fixed the problem that port submission also contained the duplicate of =
device submission
* Added bsdstats-update command to make it easier to run manually
* Made all network submissions done through the single command (nc(1))
* Fixed the bug that 'Run now' feature wasn't working when built from =
port
* Fixed the problem that failures of package information submission were =
silently ignored
* Fixed typo
* Made 300.statistics script to have consistent coding style
* Extensive code cleanups in 300.statistics
* Made log file more informative
* Added BSD license

Thanks to Yuri for the work on cleaning it up, and working to update the =
port, and Gene for testing it on NetBSD.

To update your script, please go to our Instructions Page =
<http://bsdstats.org/bt/instructions.html>; =E2=80=A6 a Package for =
FreeBSD is available there (the port in /usr/ports/sysutils/bsdstats is =
scheduled to be updated over the next week or so) =E2=80=A6 for =
NetBSD/OpenBSD users, we have a Bash version that is available =E2=80=A6 =
its the same code as the FreeBSD version, but due to an issue with the =
standard shell, bash is required.

NetBSD / OpenBSD are the only non-FreeBSD systems we=E2=80=99ve been =
able to get confirmed so far =E2=80=A6 if someone can confirm BASH vs =
non-BASH versions on their OS and let me know, I can update the site.

Also, any bugs with the web site, please let me know and we=E2=80=99ll =
see about getting it fixed.

And, of course, any questions, please feel free to email me.=