Date:      Tue, 26 Oct 2004 11:24:47 +0200
From:      Roman Kennke <roman@ontographics.com>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RELEASE_X_Y_Z branches/tags maintained??

Am Di, den 26.10.2004 schrieb Kris Kennaway um 1:05:
> On Mon, Oct 25, 2004 at 04:58:18PM -0500, Mark Linimon wrote:
> > On Mon, 25 Oct 2004, Roman Kennke wrote:
> >
> > > Maybe, if there is _enough_ interest, somebody (starting with me??)
> > > could start a separate (from FreeBSD) project, that aims to maintain a
> > > stable FreeBSD ports tree.
> >
> > I'd rather try to talk you into helping out on our existing PRs :-)

Sure. I'll try and look into it.

> > Alternatively, if having a completely stable ports tree is a showstopper
> > for you,

It is not a showstopper atm. On my desktops I am fine with the HEAD CVS
of the ports tree. My servers also run mostly well with it. It's only
that would prefer to have something stable to rely on. Occasionally
(admittedly very seldom) a 'security' update may break some things
because of strange side effects, because I have to do an upgrade in the
first two release numbers x.y -> x.(y+1).

>  pkgsrc is supposed to run on FreeBSD.  But as someone else has
> > noted, you're basically going to be doing a 100% reinstall to do that.

really? I think I should be able to leave the base system untouched,
wipe out /usr/local and /usr/X11R6 and start off with pkgsrc.

> Not to mention that if you go with a smaller project you risk not
> actually getting those updates in a timely manner anyway due to the
> aforementioned manpower problems.

indeed, that would be unacceptable.

The idea for this 'smaller project' is to do, what I'll probably do
anyway: have a copy of a tagged ports tree around and manually backport
security fixes for software that concerns me (which is not so much, at
least for the servers). If I'll do this anyway, I think I can (and
should) share this with anybody who is interested. The big factor here
is, I don't really know how much work it is to backport fixes into a on
'old' ports tree. I suppose, not too much in normal cases.

I think I'll try all 3 (so far: OpenPKG, pkgsrc, own 'stable' tree)
options out on an unused box and see what works best.

/Roman